Whether you want to check out your backyard, take a night walk, or prepare for longer trips, you’ll always need the best headlamp for camping.
To choose the best one, you should prioritize compactness, long-lasting batteries, and waterproof.
And if you feel a bit overwhelmed by thousands of headlamps out there, check our picks for the best headlamps for camping.
|1||Vont LED Headlamp [Batteries Included, 2 Pack] IPX5 Waterproof, with Red Light, 7 Modes, Head Lamp,...||9,792 Reviews||$13.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Energizer LED Headlamp [2-Pack], High-Performance Outdoor Lighting Gear, IPX4 Water Resistant...||978 Reviews||$12.06||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Energizer (2-Pack LED Headlamp, Bright and Durable, Lightweight, Built for Camping, Hiking,...||5,436 Reviews||$17.86||Buy on Amazon|
1. Coast – 30325 XPH30R
The light has 4 illumination levels to suit a variety of situations: 40 lumens, 150 lumens, 490 lumens, and 1000 lumens. You can switch the brightness modes by pressing the on/off button.
The Coast – 30325 XPH30R has a “hot spot” mode that focuses on the object for easy viewing. 1000 lumens mode can be surreal but turn out handy in forest camps or midnight walks.
- Maximum brightness 1000 lumens (mega-bright Turbo Mode), especially suitable for outdoor use for camping and hiking.
- Magnetic and removable headlamp.
- ZITHION-X battery is rechargeable using the USB port on the aluminum body plug directly on the battery using the USB-C port.
- Dustproof and waterproof.
- Fashionable black or red-black color headband, it is also elastic to fit all head sizes.
- Twist focus lens for easy usage.
- It needs to be charged regularly, the product lasts about more than 3 hours of continuous lighting
- A bit heavy for runners when they have to go long distances
This is a great product, it offers 3 hours of continuous illumination when fully charged. It is suitable for hikers, trainers when going out at night.
The light is powerful and you have many functions to choose from. The body is made of aluminum alloy, which is durable and classic.
It is also unique to have a magnet cap, the lamp is removable to be useful for many occasions.
2. GearLight LED Headlamp
This headlamp helps you see small details clearly with strong brightness. It is comfortable to wear on the head without a hat.
Moreover, GearLight is very lightweight to avoid muscle fatigue. The strap is firm and well attached to the wearers’ heads.
If you need to do tasks in the dark or go out at night, I would recommend this product.
- 7 brightness modes, more than 10 hours of continuous lighting
- The lamp is super-light so it does not cause discomfort and fatigue when wearing for a long time
- The LED headlight can adjust to different angles
- Extreme weather resistance, anti-dropping
- Batteries are not included with this product.
It uses 3x AAA batteries, which are quite common and easily purchased at grocery stores, DIY Stores. You should buy a buck of spare batteries, keep batteries handy, especially on long camping trips.
The light has 7 brightness modes (strobe, red light, white light) and is easily adjusted to tilt up and down.
People who love hiking, night running will be excited, and impressed with the product because of the long battery life of more than 10 hours.
In addition, this product is trendy and fashion-conscious as it offers many colors for the headband such as blue or pink.
3. PETZL – ACTIK CORE Headlamp
When backpacking you need this device. It uses AAA batteries and is rechargeable. For long trips, you can bring backup AAA batteries.
The headband that comes with the product can be easily adjusted to fit perfectly to all head sizes.
Because of the compact size of the lamp, it won’t cause any discomfort. With up to 350 lumens, the product will suit best for outdoor travelers and hikers.
- It comes with a whistle just in case of rescue or emergency.
- Rechargeable AAA battery using the standard USB port
- Power of 350 lumens offers super-bright light, specially designed for outdoor activities.
- HYBRID headlamp with red and white light.
- When charging the battery, you have to open the case.
- Waterproof function needs to be improved
- The continuous lighting time is limited to only about 2-3 hours when using 350 lumens mode.
When using the device for backpacking, you should buy batteries for spare. It can be recharged using the convenient USB charging port, but for long trips, a backup is required.
We recommend using low brightness, 350 lumens light is insanely bright. If you travel in groups, you should switch to red light mode so as not to dazzle your fellows’ eyes. And the red light is still bright enough.
4. Black Diamond Spot 350 Headlamp
It offers super bright lights and is one of the best headlamps for hiking. The manufacturer has made it simple to operate with memory settings.
When turned on, it starts with the set mode. The white and red light features are very useful for camping and hiking.
Not to mention, this product is also much cheaper than similar ones with even fewer functions.
- It has Brightness Memory, when the light is on, it will start with the preset brightness mode
- With good waterproof technology, the product can withstand heavy rain for 30 minutes
- 350 lumens at max brightness
- AAA battery comes with the light
- The touch button of the light is very sensitive and it is a minus point in rainy conditions, or when you are wearing gloves
- When using 350 lumens light mode, it can dazzle your companions’ eyes
- The headband may be loose and needs to be adjusted
It is a modern lamp featuring touch controls, brightness memory or top-of-the-chart brightness.
You should try it out and recommend it to anyone who wants a quality, super-bright, and reasonably priced headlamp.
5. Black Diamond Spot-Lite 200 Headlamp
The product is highly appreciated by professional mountaineers and campers. They rave about water resistance, reliability, and ease of use.
The Back Diamond brand deserves to be the best headlamp for backpacking to camping and mountain climbing. Its principle is “simplification at its best”.
- Brightness up to 200 lumens
- Lighting functions: full-power, strobes, red night-vision, and dim
- Two AAA batteries included with the device
- Comfortable headband, no discomfort when wearing for a long time
- White light can turn creamy but does not affect brightness much
- Avoid exposing the lamp to water for a long time
- Lock mode doesn’t work
Durability and long-lasting illumination, simplicity makes this product a real deal. It is trusted by rescue teams and backpackers because it can work in harsh conditions.
6. BioLite HeadLamp
The BioLite HeadLamp is comfortable to wear on the head because it weighs only 50g. That’s why women like this lamp so much.
It has 5 lighting modes and is very easy to switch modes. Users can use the lamp for 40 hours continuously in low lighting mode.
- It is easy to use and can be tilted up and down with just one hand
- Great brightness 200 lumens at max
- Beautiful design, suitable for women who care about fashion
- Rechargeable battery using micro USB
- Reasonable usage time
- Fit all head sizes well because it adopts 3D SlimFit technology. It can be adjusted just to fit the heads of adults as well as children.
- The lamp and headband are difficult to disassemble, in case you need to clean or wash the headband.
- It has so many functions.
Anyone who wants a headlamp that is super lightweight but still has strong brightness should choose this one. It also has a fashionable look in many colors.
The lamp is essential for your backpacking trips. The white light is clear and can be adjusted to focused or broad modes. The red light is enough for you to go in the night and be aware of everything around you.
7. SLONIK 1000 Lumen
Its price is more or less the same as other products, but SLONIK 1000 Lumen has outstanding brightness with 1000 lumens.
With this specification, it can illuminate a large hall. You can also remove the light from its strap, which is a great feature since you can attach it to another light to act as a sidelight.
- Lighting angles can be adjusted: on-spot beam, focused beam, or board beam
- The lithium-ion battery is durable and lasts for a long time
- The switch button is water-resistant
- Even in low light mode, it’s still bright enough for path guiding or finding ways in the darkness
- Good quality for the reasonable price
O-ring seals are quite thin, they can break and leak water into the lamp. Furthermore, the seals are made of aluminum and will not be as effective as rubber in terms of waterproofing.
This is one of the best headlamp choices for camping. Campers can set up tents at night with the powerful illumination.
Using it when you go out running will also be safer when you can clearly see the obstacles, rocks, or roots of trees on the road… In short, this is a lamp worth the money and it is built to last.
8. Vont ‘Spark’ LED Headlamp Flashlight
We will choose this headlamp for my long trip because it can last 90 hours continuously. And the battery of the product is supplied with the lamp. You can also buy extra batteries for spare.
- 7 lighting modes with easy one-button control
- It has 1 main white light and 2 side red lights
- Product-lifetime warranty
- Good quality and durability
- Quite limited in terms of water resistance.
- Light brightness needs some improvements
To work in harsh conditions, some customers require that the brightness of the lamp needs to be improved. It serves best for hiking or camping but is quite limited to rescue or hunting.
The central light is very good with focused mode, two red sidelights will also support well and have strong brightness. The quality of the lamp exceeds the customer’s expectations. The headband is quite comfortable, you can wear it for a long time without fatigue and free your hands.
9. Princeton Tec
This is a small product but quite versatile. You can disassemble the lamp and use the magnetic base to attach it to metal surfaces.
The lamp body is compact and very solidly built. The headband is fashionable and classic, and there are three colors for you to choose from.
- Flexible lamp, compact and sturdy appearance
- 300 lumens with multiple lighting functions: multiple beams, single beam, dimmed/wide/focused beam.
- Greenlight can help detect counterfeit money.
- Cheap price for very good quality.
- Do not immerse the product in water for a long time as it will be damaged
- If water gets into the device, remove the battery, then leave the lamp in an airy place to dry. You can use the dryer, then insert a new battery to use.
Except for the minus point of water resistance, I have nothing to complain about. If you use it for camping, walking… it’s perfect with durability, brightness, and functions.
10. Fenix HM50R
The light shines a very long distance, many campers choose it to be the best headlamp for camping at night, it can illuminate the whole campsite.
The Flashlight head is removable to clean the headband. Although it is very small and compact, the product’s durability can put its counterparts to shame.
- Super-brightness 500 lumens, long beam, and wide light beam
- It has a battery level indicator
- Come with a handy built-in micro USB port
- Easy-to-use control buttons
- When used at maximum lumens, it will last continuously for 2 and a half hours, and with low mode, it can be used continuously for 90 hours.
- The headband is a bit loose
- The user manual should be more updated and explained clearly
This is a good lamp in harsh weather conditions, it works well when the temperature drops below 30 degrees Celsius.
The light is small but it shines at great length. It is best if users are looking for super-bright, lightweight, and flexible devices.
11. Nitecore NU25
The lamp features three color lights like white, red, and CRI, suitable for outdoor activities.
It has standard parts such as a rechargeable battery, USB charging port. You can charge and use light at the same time. It’s known as the best headlamp for hiking.
- Ultra-small, ultra-bright up to 360 lumens
- Charge on the go
- Comfortable headband
- Cost slightly more than other lamps
- Do not expose it to heavy rain, it is waterproof but incidents have happened.
We don’t think you can find a better headlamp that can shine 88 yards. And the maximum of 360 lumens can be useful in emergency cases.
For hikers and backpackers, a brightness of 150 lumens is enough for them to see clearly at night.
Strong lighting levels should come in handy in rescue and emergencies. All in all, it’s a great headlamp product for outdoor use.
12. PETZL, ACTIK Outdoor Headlamp
The manufacturer PETZL offers a 5-year warranty on this product and it also proves to be durable over time with standard lighting functions and value for money.
- 3 AAA batteries and rechargeable
- The headlight has 4-5 tilt positions to illuminate different angles
- It looks fashionable but a bit big
- Quite suitable for camping or long travel
- The lamp is bigger than similar products, not suitable for wearing for a long period of time.
- Not good at waterproof
- Unfit headband if your head is really big
The product is good support for hikers, long-distance runners. With medium light mode, the lights shine well in the range of 15-20 meters. Besides outdoor use, it is also a good light source for photography and indoor use.
====Frequently Asked Questions====
1. How many lumens do I need for a camping headlamp?
The level of lumens suitable for outdoor camping should be 100-150 or more. Weather conditions should also be taken into account, as when there are moons and stars you only need a medium brightness of 50 lumens.
From 100 lumens, it will ensure that you see everything clearly especially when you have to set up tents or spot animals at night.
2. How many lumens do you need for headlamp hiking?
When you run or walk long distances, it is recommended to equip a light with a minimum of 50 lumens.
On the road there are many unexpected situations, for example, you encounter strange noises or obstacles, the greater brightness is in.
We recommend that your best headlamps for hiking should have brightness ranges from at least 50 to 200 lumens or more.
3. How many lumens do I need for a backpacking headlamp?
If you are a backpacker, then you have to go out and use the headlamp really late at night.
Given the location and your needs, you can choose lamps up to 500 lumens to better prepare for any occasion.
The minimum lumen of a good headlamp for backpacking should be no less than 150.
4. Why do headlamps have red lights?
The red lights will be extremely useful at night and when you are traveling with your friends.
Firstly, other lights will dazzle their eyes, but with red lights, the light is soft but still gives good illumination.
So if you are traveling in a group with fellows, you should change the mode to the red light.
Moreover, the red light saves battery better than other light colors, it helps your lamp shine for longer.
5. How do I choose a headlamp?
First of all, it is necessary to determine your main needs. Then you should first consider the appropriate brightness for the lamp, it should not be less than 50 lumens for a good and stable light source.
The best headline for outdoor use should have both white and red lights, and make sure there are sufficient lighting modes. Light modes such as strobe or SOS lighting will also help you a lot.
Besides, you need to consider the features of the battery, is it rechargeable, waterproof, dustproof? And don’t forget the price and cross-check the prices of products with similar features before making up your mind.
An effective headlamp will free your hands for other purposes especially when you are in nature. You do not need to choose an expensive lamp though.
With useful products as listed above, I hope you have for yourself the best headlamp for camping, hiking, or any of your outdoor purposes.